- Saturday, April 16, 2016: Palomar Mountain (finalized)
- Saturday, May 14th, 2016: Great Western Loop (finalized)
- Saturday, June 18th, 2016: South Bay (tentative)
For example: Last years's Pine Valley Duathlon info is below.
This is not for the faint of heart because the total ride is about 47 miles with 5,000' of climbing.
Date: Saturday, April 18
8:00AM - DEPART FROM THE PARKING LOT to the start of Kitchen Creek.
8:30AM - Official start of race from Kitchen Creek Road (we’re starting at 8:30 to give people a chance to get to the start line)
Location: Pine Valley, CA
Take 8 East approx. 40min from San Diego. Exit Pine Valley Rd. and make a left under the freeway. Make a right onto Old Hwy 80. Parking is approx. 250m up on your left side behind the Post Office
Race Director: Jay Weber, nhjagdriver at gmail dot com
The good news is that there is no initial run. This is simply a Bike/Run event. The bad news: You need to ride 8.5 miles to the start line... and this will be most in the way of downhills that you'll see in the course.
Racers will head east on Old Hwy 80, make a right onto Old Hwy 80 at the stop (Left will take you UP Sunrise Highway). After you have made you left hand turn on 80 (just past Rt. 8), take it somewhat slow... The race hasn't started yet, and there is Border Patrol with LARGE speed bumps. No need to fly over one at warp speed and end the day a tad early. For those of you with bike computers, Kitchen Creek is on the left at ~ the 8.5mile mark. This is where we'll have the start!
You'll get to take in awesome views of San Diego as you head all the way up Mt. Laguna, eventually making a right into a park after almost 20mi of racing.
The run is equally hilly, consisting of a two loop, out and back, 4mi. run with great views of San Diego and the Imperial Valley. The course is all trail, so if you have trail shoes it might be in your best interest to use them.
For those that want the race broken up into pieces, here it is:
· End of Race - riding back to cars
- Since this is a bike/run event, we will be transporting your run gear from the start up to transition. Please make sure to bring a bag to carry all your gear. For your sake, I'd aim for bright and obnoxious so it's easy to spot.
- This can be an incredibly cold race depending on weather, so be prepared and bring a jacket. This is especially helpful on the descent back down to Pine Valley after the race (most people agree that this makes the climbing worth it).
There is a ride back to the cars after the run. The total ride is about 47 miles with 5,000' of climbing. Please be prepared for this. We'll have water at T1 for the run, as well as for refilling bottles for the ride back.
- In the spirit of this race being one of the older events in the club, we keep it old school: No timing chips. Just us yelling out your times at the end (trust me, this race spreads the pack out A LOT)
-There is NO SUPPORT on Kitchen Creek. AGAIN - NO SUPPORT. Please have all of the tools you will need to change a flat, as the road is closed to motorized traffic and we are not able to get the van to you.
- Yes it's an old school event, but helmets are still mandatory and ipods and music are still a big NO.
This is a members event and members must register for this event, by CLICKING HERE
We do need a couple volunteers for this race. If you can make it out, please let me know at nhjagdriver at gmail dot com.